DIY Cell Phone Recharging Station

September 30, 2009 by

002

Check out my new cell phone re-charging station!  We have been in desperate need of somewhere safe and secure to charge our cell phones.  Until now, my husband and I have charged them on the bathroom counter at night.  The tangled mess of wires and sinks and water made me so nervous!  We have been looking at re-charging stations for a while now, but the price tag always stops us.  Sure, there are some affordable ones out there, but they were cheap looking and shabbily made.

Last week was my husbands birthday.  I really wanted to get him a present he could use, but everything that fits that category is pretty pricey.  Since we just had to get new tires on my SUV and family pictures are coming up, I needed to watch my pennies.  I knew he needed a re-charging station and I thought “I can make one!”  So, my daughter and I headed to Michaels craft store to get supplies.

005

Fortunately, Michaels had this great ribbon organizer on clearance for $6!  It is fabric covered with a slit in the front for the wires that plug into the phone.  I cut a whole in the back for the wall plug.

003

The inside of the box was big enough for a small power-strip.  I bought this one for $6.  I tied the charger wires neatly with twist ties to keep them from getting tangled together.  Our new recharging station looks great on our night stand.  It is not too big, not too little and seems to fit right in.   All for under $15!!

I’m feeling so crafty!!  I wonder what else I could make!

Comments (24)

1. [...] sure to visit her post to read exactly how she did it.  Way to go Marci for thinking outside of the box! Social [...]

2. Deb Pierce says:

What a fantastic idea! We SO need this at my house! Thanks for sharing…

3. Karen says:

Very cool! And much nicer looking than the charging station we have!

4. [...] am so excited!  Yesterday’s post about my DIY re-charging station is being featured as a “Storage Star” on I’m an Organizing Junkie.  I love that [...]

5. ter says:

Great idea! I guess the only thing I would worry about is will the box catch fire? I’m a worry wart like that though! :)

(Hi I’m here from Organizing Junkie’s blog!)

6. Lisa says:

Bet you can’t buy any more of those for $6–that is a MARVELOUS solution!!! I know your husband must have loved it. Found you via Orgjunkie, but I’ll definitely be back!

7. Pam says:

Great Idea – found you on Org Junkie – but I am bookmarking your sight.

8. Raelene says:

What a wonderful idea! I have to make one of those!!!

9. Elizabeth says:

Aren’t you a smartie! :)

10. [...] DIY Cell Phone Recharging Station, Overcoming [...]

11. Hope says:

You can look in the Sunday papers and get 40% off coupons for Micheals and Joannes and Hobby Lobby. (This is in IN) Use a coupon and you can still get a great deal. If there is a certain color you are after wait until they change things around for the seasons. Yes, they even rotate ribbon boxes to keep them fresh. If you found a box, but wasn’t fond of the colors you could always buy some sheets of 12X12 paper and cover it to match your room. Great idea!!!

12. Jennifer says:

Wow! I never would have thought of a ribbon organizer, but it’s perfect.

13. Julie says:

Thanks for this great idea. I think I will make it.

14. Gina says:

This is terrific. I’ve wanted one of these just forever! Thanks for the great idea! :-D

15. What a great idea! I found you from OrgJunkie and I was curious how you cut the holes in the box…genius using a ribbon organizer! I was just looking at charging stations last week (they were on sale at least at Target for $20). I like this idea better b/c it is bigger and holds all that we have–not everyone has an Ipod so we don’t all need that size! :-)

• Marci says:

to cut the holes in the box, I just used a utility knife! it wasn’t pretty, but it got the job done. i still need to go back with some black fabric tape and patch it up. i never see it on the back of the box, so i forget about it!

16. Charity Wilt says:

Brilliant idea! I might try something similar myself. Simple, fits perfect. ;)

17. Marie Smith says:

Great idea! Found you through orgjunkie who I found through 5 minutes for mom.

18. Julia says:

I found your site from Tipnut. I have my charging unit for my cell plugged into the power station strip I have my computer plugged into. I charge my cell phone when I use my computer.

19. Jedda says:

Just be sure to take the twist ties off before you plug anything in. They can start on fire if you don’t!

20. [...] DIY Cell Phone Recharging Station: Quick & clever project that uses a cardboard ribbon organizer as a recharging station. [...]

21. This can be very thinking about discovering specifically come below, thank you for the speak, I wish you

22. Mart says:

If anyone is looking for a charging station, then come and participate in the product development survey – http://www.chargebox.net/blog/survey/

Let’s make a new product together!